Monday, April 4, 2011

weekend recap

I'm so sad the weekend is over!

Friday night I continued working on a little project I've been slowly working on the past week. I bought two of these Ikea mirrors at a thrift store for only $1.50 each.

Since they are (seemingly?) real wood and aren't stained or finished, I figured I would try to stain them a dark wood color. Well after my first attempt some parts of the wood grain came out looking not stained at all and others looked dark but not dark enough (I only tried on one, in case I messed it up). It was looking like an oak color at best, which happens to be my least favorite wood color (even though the stain I chose was only one away from black). You have to wait six hours to stain it again to make it darker, so I was trying for the second time Friday night. It came out looking almost the same, with the same spots not staining. I was guessing at this point that I was going to end up just having to paint them.
Important note: I've been doing the staining out on the balcony. Last night it was ridiculously windy and we could hear the lawn chairs blowing around like crazy. M reminded me that my mirrors were out there but I was lazy and figured they'd been out there basically all week so they would survive. At 5:30, I was woken up by a ridiculous thunderstorm (though now it's perfectly sunny), and remembering that now, I'm afraid to go look at my poor mirrors when I get home from work. Probably they are all wet and ruined :( .
Upon checking the Ikea website though, I've learned it will only cost me $3 a piece for a couple of new ones so that's not so bad. Funny, I used the option to check if these were in stock in the store closest to us. According to the website, they are "most likely" in stock today, but they can't guarantee this, considering the number they have left, they could all be sold by the time I get there. It shows 686 available. Haha, I guess Ikea is expecting a big rush of customers purchasing extremely large quantities of these mirrors!

That was a long tangent, back to Friday night. After my failed attempt at being crafty, M  and I went to dinner at his favorite restaurant, Esparza's.
It's in downtown Grapevine and it is really popular, I've never been when it wasn't packed. It is definitely not my favorite restaurant (especially Fridays during Lent, when my options are limited to chips, beans, and cheese), but M loves it so we go all the time anyways. It's actually inside what was once an old home right off of Main St. This is perhaps my least favorite thing about it because the acoustics inside are terrible and it is SO LOUD. It doesn't help that we always get seated next to huge party where everyone feels the need to talk over each other. The food is good though, and I'll take any date night with my man (even if we can't hear each other talking.... haha).

Saturday morning I went shopping with a friend for some new clothes! Since I've lost a lot of weight, nothing I own fits me. I have been acquiring a new wardrobe slowly, but at this point it consists of a lot of sweaters (since it's been winter of course) and clothes that are more dressy or for going out, since I have a habit of going and purchasing an outfit specifically for any event we get invited to. It's been hot lately and I have no casual clothes to wear in warm weather. Sadly, I didn't find a whole lot Saturday.
I did get three new pairs of shorts

American Eagle

Abercrombie

I am really disappointed that the only jean shorts that seem to be in style this year are rolled cutoffs, again. I had quite enough of those last season and would really like some classier looking jean shorts options please! I like these three pairs that I ended up with, but I have no idea what tops I can wear them with (especially since I didn't buy any!). I am on the hunt for a white vneck that isn't see through. This is an impossibility apparently. I did find some I thought I liked from Target but upon wearing them for a second time, they are fitting really awkwardly :(

Saturday evening M and I went to a friend's for a bonfire. I was thinking it was awfully warm for a bonfire, but they live wayyyy out in the country (to us at least lol) and it was much colder out there. Plus, it was really windy so sitting by the fire was actually perfect. We also got in the hot tub for a little while, and then went to Ihop at 3am (it took us a long time to get out to the country, so it made for a late night lol). We had the funniest waiter ever! I thought he was going to hate us for even being there at that hour, but he was so fun and told us lots of jokes (that were a bit off color, but still funny!).

I slept so late yesterday (not surprisingly), and then had to go babysit for a few hours in the afternoon.  The family I babysat for was having a surprise lunch for the dad, who had just completed a goal he'd set for himself 19 years ago to run 20,000 miles in 1,000 weeks! 20 miles a week for 19 years is pretty impressive! After than I worked on some school work, cleaned up a little, went to dinner with M, and savored the last bit of weekend!

This week C's mommy is out of town, and since his daddy leaves for work earlier and gets home later, that means I have to get here even earlier and leave much later than usual. I'm going to be here from just before 7:15 until 6 or 6:30 for the next four days and I can't say I'm looking forward to it, mostly just because I hate waking up early and today my alarm went off at 5:45, ugh. They are repaying me by giving me Friday off though and I am very much looking forward to my three day weekend!

Sorry for my lack of regular posts Friday, I was still writing my paper that was due yesterday! As for my weight loss update, I was down two pounds to 151lb last Friday. After weighing myself today, I think I'll be lucky to be the same weight this week (yikes!), but I'll go ahead and say my goal is 149lb. Minus two pounds is seeming like a more realistic goal these days. I need to find some willpower and get myelf to the gym again!


As of today, my letter with my admission decision for the Brookhaven nursing program can come at any time (by April 21st at the latest). The dispute period ended Friday, so basically now all they have to do is line up all the applicants based on their number of points and send out the letters! I am so anxious, I hope they get them sent out soon. At least they are coming by email, it's much easier to check my email on my phone obsessively than walk to the mailbox 100 times a day ;)

On that note, I found this blog on Saturday, and I am so happy that I did. I was so very touched by baby Cohen's story, and I've been praying for him and his family as I read their posts (Cohen was born with four different congenital heart defects and fought at Children's Hospital in Dallas for 12 days before going to be with the Lord last June). Cohen's story has only further affirmed to me that working in the NICU at Children's Hospital is where I am meant to be. God has shown me in so many different ways (including leading me to Megan's blog) that this is what I am supposed to do and how I will serve Him, and I can't wait to finish school so that I can start helping babies like Cohen as well as being there for and supporting their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment