Thursday, February 24, 2011

nursing school

I've given up on the photo-a-day challenge because I've been too busy studying for my HESI the past 4 days!

For the fall semester I'm applying to two nursing programs, Brookhaven College and North Central Texas College.

Admission to the Brookhaven program goes based on a point system, with points awarded based on GPA, the number of non-required but nursing related courses taken, and your HESI score. This is good news for me because most schools rank applicants based only on GPA. I really needed a good score on the HESI to have the best chance of getting in, and I wanted a 95 or higher. Sadly, I only got a 95, but I guess I'm happy it's not any lower than what I was hoping for! The test is five parts: math, grammar, vocabulary, reading comprehension, and anatomy & physiology. Without the pesky a&p portion I would have made a 99, ugh. Oh well though hopefully it is still enough to get in! My total points for admission then are 33.4, and last semester everyone with a 31.7 and above got in, so I definitely have a chance, it just depends on the pool of applicants I'm up against. Now I have until April 21st to wait anxiously.

NCTC also uses a point system but unfortunately the exam is only used to narrow down the people with the top points. If I get chosen to take the entrance exam, I'm sure I can get in, but hopefully I have enough points to get that far. That process doesn't begin until May.

If I can't manage to get into either program for the fall, then for the spring semester I'll be applying to UTA (again, which was my original plan that didn't happen), Northlake College, El Centro College, Tarrant County Community College and Brookhaven and NCTC again. Surely one of those will accept me!

I really, really feel like the program at Brookhaven would be perfect and it seems like everything is pointing me in that direction so I hope it's in God's will for me to start there in the fall. I guess I'll have to wait and see (and try not to worry).

No comments:

Post a Comment